Smoke seeps into walls, furniture, draperies, carpeting, and even books. It can make a home smell terrible. Many people try spray deodorizers and scented candles, but that only masks the odor for a short time. Everything affected must be properly cleaned, which is why Marietta smoke cleaning services can benefit you. Here are a few specific reasons why.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) offers some suggestions:
- Leave windows and doors open as much as possible.
- Place bowls of vinegar around the room with the smoke damage and leave them for several days. If you can’t stand the smell of vinegar, you can add a little lavender oil.
- Sprinkle liberal amounts of baking soda over furniture, carpet and floors, let stand for an extended period, then vacuum.
- Wash household items, including knick-knacks.
- Launder clothing and add white vinegar to the rinse cycle, or dry clean if required.
- Use a deodorizing, not odor-masking, spray on upholstered furniture and fabric window treatments.
- Wash, and scrub exterior surfaces such as walls, walks, drives, windows, decks, and screens.
- Use mild soap, white vinegar, or cleaning solution to wash and disinfect interior walls and hard surfaces. Rinse thoroughly. Do the same thing inside cabinets, drawers, and closets.
Carpet and Upholstery
Smoke odor removal from carpet or upholstery can be especially time consuming. Trained professionals know the ins and outs of tackling the problem of smoke embedded in carpet and upholstery and can help with home odor removal in Marietta.
The awful odor left after a fire requires many more steps than typical cleaning and restoration.
If you’ve had a fire, even a small kitchen fire, removal of that awful smell is best left to Marietta smoke cleaning services. Professionals have expertise, equipment, and products a homeowner lacks. Different materials, from carpet and fabric to wood and ceramic, have different physical properties. Technicians can determine the right product for each material. Foul smells are created by airborne particles that can be sealed away, so once a surface has been treated, they can seal the surface and trap any remaining scent for good.
If you decide to hire a professional, be aware that prices can increase the longer the cleaning is delayed. Smoke odor removal done in a timely manner can restore the furniture or carpet to its former condition, but time can increase damage and carpet fibers and upholstery can become permanently discolored and may have to be replaced.
Heating, ventilating, air-conditioning units and all ductwork should be professionally cleaned to remove soot, ash, and smoke residue to completely eliminate smoke smell in Marietta. Remember to change filters when you return to the premises and at least once a month for the first year.
Hiring a professional team may be the only hope a home owner has of eliminating the awful odor left by smoke and getting lasting results. When those scents become deeply rooted in a living space, and you’re trying to accommodate for a family member with asthma or even prepare that home to sell, odor removal services can be a game changer.