CALL NOW FOR SERVICE:   (678) 750-4808

HomeDoes DIY Mold Removal Actually Work?MoldDoes DIY Mold Removal Actually Work?

Does DIY Mold Removal Actually Work?

mold remediation

There are many different words of advice and recommendations when it comes to mold removal. People often question whether or not they should hire a professional or try to handle it DIY first. The rule of thumb is if the mold damage is significant in size, you should use a professional. Most experts recommend calling a professional for anything larger than 10 square feet, but even something smaller than that might need professional help. 

DIY mold removal can work on some level, but it is incredibly limited. In this guide, we cover whether DIY really works and when you should rely on a professional instead. 

Common DIY Mold Removal Options

If you do a quick search, you will find there are several different types of solutions for removing mold in your home. Some of the solutions vary depending on your surface. These options can be effective, but you should know that they are also limited. 

These are some of the common DIY methods you might see:

  • Baking soda
  • Essential oils
  • Bleach
  • Lemon
  • Mold killer (such as Kilz)

With any of these approaches, you will need safety equipment as well as some scrubbing, cleaning, and scraping equipment. Be very careful to ensure you are really killing the mold and removing things safely. 

Professional Mold Removal

In contrast, professional mold removal is meant for larger jobs as well as for increased safety. If you’re dealing with a small spot of mold that is only a few inches in size, you’re fine to work on this on your own. Just take care and ensure this really is all the mold. You have to be cautious not to spread it or make it worse during removal. 

As we mentioned above, if you have a large mold infestation or you are concerned it could be a toxic mold, you need to call a professional. These teams are highly trained to effectively remove mold to make your space safe again. 

Risks of DIY Mold Removal

There are certain risks to trying to remove mold on your own. Remember that a small spot or area might be fine, but you have to be extremely cautious. Here are a few of the risks. 

Spreading Mold Damage

It is easy to spread mold damage by mistake, and you could spread mold spores to a new surface without even realizing it. This is why you want to kill the mold before you start any cleaning or removal processes. It takes a knowledgeable approach. 

If you accidentally spread mold, you could end up facing a much bigger mold problem that is even harder to get rid of. 

Missing Mold Damage

Another risk is the possibility that you won’t get it all. What happens if you think you removed all the mold, but there was damage you couldn’t see? You went to all that trouble, only for mold to come back or expand even further onto other surfaces. 

Mold is a microscopic spore, which means there can definitely be mold damage that isn’t visible to the naked eye. It takes a trained eye and sometimes specialty equipment to ensure that all the mold is really gone. If you’re leaving parts behind, you’re basically wasting your time. 

Safety Details

There are several safety considerations for mold damage restoration. The first of these is safety for the person handling removal. Do you know what kind of mold you are dealing with? There is the chance that you have toxic mold, in which case there could be health hazards. 

No matter what type of mold you are dealing with, there are certain protective items that need to be used to ensure the safety of any individuals in the space. In addition, air filtration is also important. 

In terms of safety, containing the mold to avoid spreading it or making the problem worse is absolutely essential. Professionals will know what steps to take for containment purposes. Don’t just haphazardly toss around materials that are mold-infested. 

And finally, another safety detail is disposal of products. From cleaning materials to infested surfaces, there are very specific processes for disposing of items. You can’t just toss it in the trash and be done with it. This puts others at risk. You need to carefully separate and dispose of any items with mold or that were used to clean up mold. 

Call ONEighty Solutions for Your Mold Removal Needs

While DIY can be effective in limited circumstances, it is important to know when calling a professional is a better solution. When you have mold damage and want it taken care of safely and effectively, call the professionals! ONEighty Solutions’ teams are trained and certified to take care of mold damage for you. Contact us today for your mold removal needs.

Contact Us Today

ONEighty Solutions is the most comprehensive provider for damage restoration…
Call (678) 750-4808 now. We’re available around the clock!

Evaluation Request